What are Medicaid Waivers?
- They allow Medicaid to fund supports and services for children and adults with disabilities in their family homes or communities instead of institutions.
Which Medicaid Waivers are available in Indiana?
Developmental Disabilities Waivers
Provide home and community based supports for individuals who have intellectual or other developmental disabilities, including autism.
- Family Supports Waiver (FS Waiver)
- Capped annual budget for services is $16,545.
- Waiting list is maintained by the Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services
2. Community Integration and Habilitation Waiver (CIH Waiver)
- Based upon the individual’s level of need and living situation.
- Consideration is made in situations that include:
- Loss of incapacitation of the primary caregiver
- Living with an aging primary caregiver
- Aging out of a residential placement for children
- Health and welfare is threatened in current living situation
- Moving from a nursing facility or group home
- Other emergency or crisis situations
With a Developmental Disabilities Waiver an individual can receive the following types of services:
- Adult Day Services
- Behavioral Support
- Case Management
- Residential Habilitation
- Community Habilitation
- Assistance and Care
- Supported Employment
Skilled Nursing Care Waivers
1. Aged and Disabled Waiver (A&D Waiver)
- Provides home and community based supports as an alternative to care in a nursing facility for persons of all ages with a disability.
2. Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver (TBI Waiver)
- Provides home and community based supports for individuals who have had a traumatic brain injury and who would require institutional care without these services.
- Waiting lists are maintained by the local Area Agency on Aging.
With a Skilled Nursing Care Waiver an individual can receive the following types of services:
- Adult Day Services
- Attendant Care
- Assisted Living
- Case Management (A&D)
- Homemaker Services (A&D)
- Nutritional Supplements (A&D)
- Behavior Management (TBI)
- Residential Habilitation (TBI)
- Supported Employment (TBI)
- Therapies (TBI)